Monday, June 2, 2014

Moving Apace In Full Color


The second project from designer Linda Skuja is moving along quickly.  And it is in living color!

This crochet short row design is fun and eye catching.  The yarn makes me feel secure in my goal of expanding my palette into colors that are not my normal comfort zone.

Schoppel-Wolle Zauberball is a friend of mine.  This Crazy version is, however, new to me.  And it is fun!

The color repeats of Crazy remind me of the way that Noro is plied - with a whole lot more wool.  Even though this pattern is quite open (requiring full coverage underneath) and the design features cap sleeves, the wool of the Zauberball will provide much warmth.  I'm thinking that this one will be a great addition to my winter wardrobe.

Here is the back.  The short row sections are not for the beginner and many suggestions for success abound within the social media yarn world.  That part is great and one of the reasons that I am so active in following blogs, notes & discussion on Ravelry and face-to-face participation in both formal and informal knit/crochet groups.

What do I mean?  I mean all the free help, advice and tips that are to be had by reaching out and joining in!  I get free help, I offer input, the yarn spins, the hook & sticks move and projects are completed.  Right now, I personally know four others who are all working on this pattern.  We help each other, we offer up well deserved "Oohs and Aahs" and we agree when it is time to add that extra row* into the pattern.

*The Extra Row reads:  Rip back now.

2 comments:

  1. You are right..not for the beginner but, how can one gain experience if they don't try. I have bought some sock yarn to test out..in terms of "short rows" I think you "turn" before the end of the row If this is true on the next row do you continue across one row down? Am I making sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pattern will tell you exactly when to stop short, turn and work back to a specific point. For this pattern, the short rows work back to the side edge. Congrats on expanding your skill set! Start slow and you'll begin to "see" the concept..

      Delete