Monday, June 9, 2014

Let's Go Shopping


Last week was very productive.  And I even found time to knit!  This is my version of the Princess Kate Shawl.  The theme is the focus of a knit-a-long at one of the knitting guilds to which I belong.  Those of us who are participating will all wear our shawls at a holiday party in December.  And yes, I am patting myself on the back that I am finished months and months early.

The shawl is unique in the way it is constructed.  There are many shawls that are knit or crocheted side-to-side.  That is not the unique part.  What makes this one special is that the ruffle edging goes around the whole thing and it is worked as the shawl body is worked.  Fun short rows do the magic.

The other magical thing about this version is the texture that results from twisted stitches.  All that is needed to make the twist is to knit through the back loop (tbl).  I love the result!

I am convinced that this twist is what slowed down my knitting.  From cast on to weave in this simple shape took three months.  That's a long time for me to work on something so small. 

To be totally honest, this one got ignored a lot.  There was a crocheted tee, a shawl, two necklaces, a gift bolero, a gift scarf, two market bags, a shell, flip flops, a cardigan and three hats that interrupted the knitting.  So, I was not really slacking off. 

The thing is, I don't think this shawl is complete.  I keep looking at the center point and it looks dull.  As it happens, I was recently gifted a bit of copper metallic embroidery floss. 


And my thoughts are off and running!



1 comment:

  1. Wow! Those twisted stitches REALLY do make a difference. LOVE the color. Cute model too.

    ReplyDelete