Thursday, September 29, 2011

Soak

This past weekend, I listened to a shop owner wax poetic on the absolute superiority of steam blocking vs wet blocking of garments.  Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.  Even when that opinion is that "if a garment is steam blocked the way I am telling you it will never, for the life of the garment, revert back to uneven stitches or to the preblocked stitch gauge." 

And I have an opinion as well.  Here is why I like to soak the daylights out of my stuff.

Because soaking the daylights out of the yarn also soaks the excess dye out of the garment!  Imagine, if you will, wearing the future kimono jacket over a lovely white shirt.  Guess where that excess dye is going to end up?   Yep, transferred to the white, that's where.







Look at what was left in the basin!  That is not egg dye waiting for a spring holiday.  This is photo evidence of why I wet block almost everything.  Steam is good for generating power and treating the very delicate yarns or for massaging a seam into releasing puckers, etc.  But, with so many indie yarn dying out there giving us the shade and colorways we demand, I feel that I should do my part and get the last of the color released from the fiber before my new white shirt is tainted by berry shades.

Thank you for listening.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you....soaking that extra color out makes perfect sense to me.

    ReplyDelete