Friday, February 14, 2014

Middle Out Knitting

The berry colored summer pullover uses a construction that is totally new to me.  I've knit bottom up sweaters and I've knit top down.  I've knit puzzle pieces that become wearable after seaming.  But I have never done this.   Lovely Lace Yoke Tee Shirt is worked from the middle and grows up and then down. 

The first step is a provisional cast on that is roughly the circle around the shoulders, front and back.  It was a bit hard to wrap my head around the concept, but after knitting on faith for a few rows the light bulb flashed Ah Ha!

Yes, the photo  likes like a red doughnut.  But this is the yoke that ends with the ribbing around the neckline. 

Yes, I tried it on and it fits! The next step is a bit of plain stockinette followed by placing markers to indicate the front, arms and back. 

There will be miles and miles of stockinette in the round which translates to mindless yarn work in front of mindless television.  But this one is all about the lace work on the yoke. 

You know what?  Trying on this yoke and discovering a perfect fit is more comforting than knitting a gauge swatch. 

Knit on, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment