Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Simple Stitch Rules

Here it is March already.  For the last several years, I have knit an afghan each year.  Well, time is wasting away and I was feeling as though I needed to keep up the tradition.  And, in fairness to the stash, it seemed quite appropriate to use up yarn that was taking up space that more rightly belongs to a new purchase. 

Witness the very simple crocheted shell stitch as the annual project.  Yes, I've decided that this year's afghan is a "no brainer" simple quickie.  In fact, this will either become a baby blanket (no babies are on the horizon, but such items are always welcome by someone) or it will become a lap blanket (as I know of a Veteran's program that always is in need). 

So,  I occasionally spend an evening working a few more rows with no stress for a specific time frame.  One day, this will be the right size and I'll stop.  Who knows?  I might even look up an interesting border to add a final touch.

Having a no-stress pile of yarn in my lap is comforting and much more relaxing than having a pile of yarn that wants to be a new dazzling pullover in time for the upcoming dinner.  Not that I have such a pile of silk & cashmere in my lap.  Of course I don't.  If I did, you'd have read about the stress and seen a whole series of photos detailing how the garter stitch is not growing and how it might just be a little too wide owing to no gauge swatch and the quandary of should there also be a super duper embellishment on the lower edge because I'm sick of garter stitch and a whole lot of other pressures from such a pile of yarn in my lap!

Oops.  Sorry about that.  Working on a very simple crocheted afghan is quite relaxing and frees me from the other stresses of life.   That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment