Saturday, April 3, 2010

Knitting For Happiness

These last weeks have been hectic.  Six weekends of air travel allows lots of time to knit.  There is all that sitting and waiting after the nice folks have inspected your shoes.  There is all that sitting and waiting and slurping of caffeine.  And there is that sitting and waiting and enjoying the sky. 

Sitting and waiting is not my forte.  From deep in the recesses of memory comes the observation "When I works, I works hard.  When I sits, I sits loose.  And when I thinks, I falls asleep."  Well, sleeping on a plane that is headed eastward is not such a grand idea.  One arrives rested and refreshed - usually just in time to go to sleep in the eastern time zone.  So, in order to stave off sleep, I work hard.  I knit.  I knit a lot.

A recent weekend jaunt to Connecticut provided over eleven hours of sitting and waiting time.  So, I knit a scarf.  A basic seed stitch so the edges don't curl scarf.  This is rather laughable because it was near 80 degrees when I returned home.  Who needs a wool neck warmer when the temps zoom upward?  Not I, that's for sure.  As it happens, my traveling companion admired the color of the wool and, being a non-knitter, was amazed that between the going away and coming home I knit an entire scarf.

Turns out that my non-knitting companion walks her dog early in the morning near a southern California beach where fog and chill and wind cause her neck to feel cold - even on days that soar to 80 in the afternoon.  The decision was simple.  She now has a new dog walking scarf and I did not fall asleep on my trip.  The life of a knitter if filled with all manner of happiness - especially when given away.

When you give yourself, you receive more than you give. 
Antoine de Saint-Exupery


No comments:

Post a Comment