Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Ragged Around The Edges

This space should be occupied by a photo of what is ragged around the edges.  If said photo were here, I would be mortified.  Absolutely ashamed that you could see what has happened to my hand knits.  Suffice it to say, that the knits in question are meant to be used and abused until ragged, worn and ready for the trash bin.  The sense of shame is in how long I let the situation continue when it is so fast and easy to correct.

Basic kitchen dishcloths are meant to be hard working functional items.  And in my kitchen they get worked out daily.  Scrubbing cast iron (sans soap of course) tends to wear the cotton more than spiffing up glassware.

There isn't much that can be said about this utilitarian knitting.  Two cloths can be made from one ball of cotton.  And when it is purchased at 40% off - these are the deal of the house.

Just to break up the work, this second dishcloth will be plain double moss stitch.  It is bumpy, lays flat without curling and still scrubs well.  That sums up what I need. 

Sometimes it feels as though basic household item knitting or crocheting is the poor relation to highfalutin couture yarn work.  Why is that?  A dishcloth is as necessary as a pair of socks.  Perhaps even more necessary as cleanliness in the kitchen is vital to health.  Socks, for all their warmth in cold climates, are just pedicure protectors here in the desert.

I started out to tell you about the interruption of the "real knitting" with humble cotton necessities.  After thinking about it, I am proud to show off my aids to human health.  Thrilled to share with you that my kitchen is neat, tidy and free of old germ laden rags.  Whoo Hoo!


No comments:

Post a Comment