Monday, April 23, 2012

Annual Upkeep

Once upon a time, the small purple binder held my single patterns.  It was easily divided into knit & crochet sections and further organized within those categories.  A few purchases, a few downloads and the trusty binder was literally bursting at the rings.

Two recycled non-matching binders later and every (as in every last pattern sheet I could find throughout the stash(es)) is now reorganized.  Whew!  I am not the most consistent organizer in the world, but when I set my mind to it, it gets done.

This time, I changed the whole system.  What I've finally admitted is that when I am looking for something, the first thought is not "Knit or Crochet?"  My brain categorizes into projects, not methodology.  So, the new organizational system roughly breaks down into the following categories:

Binder #1 - Shoulders & Above
  • Hats
  • Scarfs
  • Shawls
  • Other

Binder #2 - Main Body
  • Pullovers
  • Cardigans
  • Shrugs
  • Dresses
  • Skirts
  • Other 

Binder #3 Feet, Babies & Home (hey, I admitted above that this is a rough breakdown)
  • Socks
  • Slippers
  • Baby
  • Blankets
  • Personal Care
  • Home Decor
  • Other
 So, what is the point of my telling you all of this?  Just a little glimps into how this one person has organized for the coming year.    I no longer care about the whole knit v crochet debate.  I'm a project - not - process kind of person.  And my pattern filing system plays to the end product.  For now.  How are you organized?


No comments:

Post a Comment