Thursday, April 16, 2015

Challenge Me


You know that part of work where the words "Make this" get you all excited?  That's how it is for me.  Sometimes it is a new private commission or contract.  Sometimes its a sample for a group or shop.  Sometimes, it is just for me.   I get happy thinking of the challenge and the joy of trying a new pattern or yarn or technique.

And sometimes additional words are added, such as "in time for Vogue Knitting Live."

Annette from The Knitting Tree, L.A.
The new Knitscene arrived in store and all anyone could say was WOW.   Annette wanted a sample of the cover pattern  to put in her booth at the Vogue marketplace.

And I had less than two weeks to get the job done.  Panic coursed through every fiber of my being.  My mind raced through the mental calendar, subtracted blocking time, subtracted fringe applying time, subtracted family time, subtracted sleep time and eating time and there were precious few days in which to accomplish the task.

I love a challenge.  Did I mention that the serape would be going to the market at Vogue Knitting Live? 

The whole beginning was easy and flew by quickly as long as I kept my mouth shut and the needle tips clicking.  Happy colors make for happy work.

And then the intarsia set in. 

Thankfully there is a door on the yarn studio.  Words were said.  Cajun words, if you want the truth. 

Lucky for me, she who crochets* was nearby and even offered (get this folks) to fix my knitting!  Don't that just float your boat?  Well, she was calm and untangled the mess, found the friggin' exact dropped stitch (yes, of course within the intarsia), and walked me through the picking up process from the wrong side whilst I stared at the right side.  What a woman she is!  It is possible that she knows more about knitting than any non-knitter in the yarniverse.

Success.

'Tis done.

Started 4/7 about 2:30 pm. 
Blocked 4/12 at 7:00 pm
Finished fringe 4/13 about 11:00 am
Delivered 4/13 at 1:30 pm in plenty of time for VKL.

*Thank you Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment