Friday, August 24, 2012

Beaded Feather & Fan

The Glistening Multnomah shawl delights me so much, that I should share with you exactly how/where I placed the beads within the Feather & Fan knit work.

Multiple of 18 - with edge stitches per your pattern.

Use crochet method to Place Bead (PB)


Row one: Knit.
Row two: Purl.
*Row three: K2tog 3 times, (YO, k1) 2 times, YO, PB & knit beaded stitch, (YO, k1) 3 times, K2tog 3 times. Repeat across the row.
Row four: Knit.

* The bead is always placed on the 3rd knit stitch of the YO section.   It is not placed on the yarn over.  A typical F&F is (YO, k1) 6 times.  There is still a total of 6 YO repeats in this beaded version.  Just place the bead on the 3rd repeat.

Beads can also be placed on every right side row:
*Row one: k8, PB & knit beaded stitch, k9.  Repeat across the row.
Row two: Purl.
Row three: K2tog 3 times, (YO, k1) 2 times, YO, PB & knit beaded stitch, (YO, k1) 3 times, K2tog 3 times. Repeat across the row.
Row four: Knit.

*  Notice that there are still 18 stitches for the pattern repeat.  Place a bead on stitch 9 and it lines up with the beads from Row 3.  Once established, counting is not really necessary because you can see where the bead goes.

Have fun!  Try it out.  

PS - Notice that these directions are very specific to place the bead (PB) and then to actually knit the stitch you just beaded.  I explained this method to a friend and she placed the bead and then slipped that beaded stitch without knitting it.  The result is different - not wrong, just different. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, just about to begin a Multnomah and as I have some beads that match my yarn perfectly I was wondering how I could somehow incorporate them! Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to blog world and I love making this pattern and wondered how others might place beads for a good result. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete