Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Ruffled Mini Shawl

What does forty-eight hours of Holiday eating, sleeping, shopping and knitting equal?  It equals this.

A ruffled version of the Weavers Wool Mini Shawl that can be had in it's unruffled form here.  I've already made two previous version of this quick knit.  This one still needs to be blocked and embellished - but 'tis done.

I cast on for this on Saturday afternoon and was finished with the knitting by Monday noon.  The ruffled edge was just a whim and a bit of girly girl to change the plain garter.  And to top it off, there are beads yet to be added.
For the first row of ruffle, all that I did was increase every second stitch.  Three or four rows later I increased every fourth stitch just because it needed a bit more.  Don't even ask how many stitches that made.  I never did count it up.  If I had, the BO would have seemed too daunting to tackle.

When working the ruffle, the increase lines (YO, K1, YO) were maintained and so that pattern runs right through the ruffle.

I like the way this turned out and the impact of the YO holes within the ruffle is tres chic!  After all, it is the detail work that makes or breaks the final result.

Still looking for the beads for the edge.  And how best to apply.  I am torn between crocheting on single beads so that the exact spacing is controlled.  But then, the option to purchase beaded fringe and sew it on sure would be quick! 

Perhaps, while I watch this Plymouth Mushishi dry, the bead dilemma will be solved.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Am knitting this now for someone in a nursing home. It will take me a LOT longer than yours. i love the ruffle and am going to try it...

    gina

    ReplyDelete