Well, that was a lovely break for posting and writing and thinking and all that jazz. I'm back after taking some time off to think. And cogitate.
And I might have designed this headband using the knot cable technique. The first time I did this three dimensional knitting was in a pillow for a shop sample. You can see below for a link to her pillows and the genius of the knot.
I loved her concept so much that ideas started popping into my little brain. It just took a while to get them written down.
Without further ado, here it is.
Cable Knot Headband
Lenora Francois Stewart
Francois Stewart Designs.
This technique uses strips of knitting to create a dimensional knot.
· US 6 - 8 needle, extra dpn of same size
· Locking Stitch markets
· Stitch holder
Cast on 27 stitches (long tail)
Set up: Knit ONE Row
Row 1 (RS): k5, p2, k4, place marker (PM), k5, (PM), k4, p2, k5.
Row 2 (WS); k7, p4, k5, p4, k7
Repeat Rows 1 & 2 two more times, slipping markers as you come to them.
Knot Cable is worked on the next right side row.
Row 7 (RS): k5, p2, Knot Cable over next 13 stitches, p2, k5
KNOT CABLE adapted from Cabled Pillows by Annabelle Speer
1. With extra needle, knit 4 stitches in Stockinette for 10 Rows. Place stitches on locking marker. It is easiest if you knit backwards for these rows.
2. Cut yarn
3. Slip next 5 stitches to a holder and drop to back of work
4. Attach yarn and work next 4 stitches in Stockinette for 10 Rows. Place stitches on locking marker. It is easiest if you knit backwards for these rows.
5. Cut yarn
6. Wrap the right hand strip in front of and around the left hand strip to form a knot. Let the strip on the left fall to the front of the work
7. Slip the 4 stitches from the new right hand strip back on the left needle and knit
8. Knit the 5 center stitches from the holder
9. Slip the 4 stitches from the new left hand strip back on the left needle and knit
10. Complete row as established.
Row 9 (RS): k5, p2, k4, place marker (PM), k5, (PM), k4, p2, k5.
Row 10 (WS); k7, p4, k5, p4, k7
Repeat Rows 9 & 10 two more times, slipping markers as you come to them.
Row 15: knit
Bind off in Knit on next wrong side row.
Weave in all ends.
THE HEADBAND PATTERN
With right side of Knot Cable swatch facing and using a DPN, Pick Up & Knit 9 stitches along left edge.
WS Row: p2tog, k5, p2tog
RS Row: knit all stitches
WS Row: p2tog, k 3, p2tog
RS Row: knit all stitches
WS Row: p2tog, k 1, p2tog
RS Row: k3
Now work an i-cord on these 3 stitches for 9 – 10 inches (or as long as needed.) Bind off and weave in end.
Repeat this process for the other side.
Tie i-cord around head to wear headband.