Saturday, January 15, 2011

Warm Toes; Warm Heart?

After starting the new socks for the new year, I became sidetracked.  Sidetracked for a very specific reason.  Dark nights.  Oh sure, the calendar tells us that each day is getting just a bit more daylight hours.  But just a little bit more daylight does not help my eyes see dark string in the darkness of night.  There is that whole "turn on a light!" issue and that point of view has merit.

However, I rather enjoy an evening of family time in a dim room with candle light attempting to make up for a low watt bulb.  Cozy.  Comfy.  Conducive to knitting.  Alas, at my age, seeing the dark sock pattern by the light of the flickering candle is simply no longer a joy.  So it was that I went stash diving for a lighter shade of something worthy of a cozy evening.


And that is how the Cotton Fleece from Brown Sheep came out of the closet and into the light of the candles.  Once upon a time this particular yarn almost became a t-shirt.  Luckily, I lost interest and had frogged the whole thing ages ago. 

This is a very simple crochet slipper.   It is an "old" style pattern that isn't really a pattern.  I'm sure that several versions exist on line if you go searching.  The whole thing is single crochet and easy enough for a beginner.

My toes are still as warm as if wearing dark wool socks, but this color - and the worsted weight worked with an H hook - made for enjoyable evening work.

The slippers were a nice respite from the socks, but given that the sun is shinning, I'd best get back to the sock knitting and stop gloating about the easiness of making these slippers.

No comments:

Post a Comment